Select a location or a category

Choose a location on the map

Details will be displayed here....

Kids AmericaLandscaped Areas

Kids America Soccer Fields

category: Landscape Areas

Kids America is a recreation facility with two outdoor turf fields. These fields are primarily for soccer matches. They do their mowing in-house, along with fertilization, and irrigation (mix of automated and manual). They subcontract out to Dresden Landscaping for grub control applications

Clary GardensFloral Displays

Clary Gardens

category: Floral Displays

Clary Gardens is a new botanical garden being developed in Eastern Ohio, amid the Appalachian foothills. While the garden is still in its infancy, we are open to the public and encourage you to visit often as the garden evolves. The Garden encompasses 20 acres of rolling hills, woodlands, sandstone outcroppings, spring-fed ponds and plenty of open landscape for the development of gardens. We have rehabilitated two original 19th-century brick houses on the property over the years and one of these historic houses is open to the public when staff is on-site.

Containers on Main StreetFloral Displays

Containers on Main Street

category: Floral Displays

Beautiful Concrete planters on Main Street are filled with thrillers, spillers, and fillers.

Roscoe VillageHeritage Preservation

Roscoe Village

category: Heritage Preservation

Historic tours through Roscoe Village take guests back in time to the slower pace of life in a 1830s canal town. While strolling through the restored living history buildings, guests may see actual artisans at work, including a blacksmith, a weaver, a cooper, and a broom maker; observe old-time cooking demonstrations; sit in on a reenactment of an 1800s school lesson; view a full-scale canal boat replica; visit the immaculately groomed gardens displaying an array of colors; or participate in hands-on learning demonstrations like candle dipping, tin punching, or weaving.

Roscoe VillageUrban Forestry

Courthouse Trees

category: Urban Forestry

A species inventory has been mapped of the more than one hundred trees on Coshocton’s court house square.

Cistern at Clary GardensEnvironmental

Cistern at Clary Gardens

category: Environmental

Clary Gardens has worked with SWCD to develop two cisterns that are used irrigate the gardens (gravity- fed). One of the cisterns captures 1000 gallons of roof run-off. The other cistern captures 2500 gallons of spring water.

Clary Gardens has also installed several dry stream beds in the woodlands to divert runoff from eroding the existing woodland pathway

Hopewell Helps with CleanupOverall Impression

Clean Up

category: Impression

Hopewell Industries Volunteer in Tidiness Effort.

Flag GardenFloral Display

Flag Garden

category: Floral Displays

A local municipal judge supervises community service workers to maintain a Flag Garden designed to celebrate flag making, one of Coshocton’s leading industries.

Tulips on 4th StreetFloral Display

Tulips on 4th Street

category: Floral Displays

Hundreds of tulips bloom at City Hall, Main Street, and the court square each spring. This display of color is followed by the bloom of many different types of perennials extending into the fall season.

The Johnson-Humrickhouse MuseumFloral Display

The Johnson-Humrickhouse Museum

category: Heritage Preservation

The Johnson-Humrickhouse Museum is the center for local historical archives. It permanently houses local Native American relics and local pioneer relics. Rotating displays in the past have included local history items from the old Pope Gosser China Factory and specialty advertising items. Coshocton is the birthplace of specialty advertising. Other displays have included World War II items, paintings by native son, Benton Clark, and wood carvings by the late Sam Clow. The museum also sponsors programming of a historical nature, e.g. Brad Lepper, Ohio Historical Society Archaeologist, who spoke on the Newark Holy Stones in late March. The museum founders purchased these artifacts in 1870, soon after they were discovered. The museum also has yearly programming about Native Americans, e.g. Russell H. Booth, Jr., author of “The Tuscarawas Valley in Indian Days.”

Annin FlagHeritage Preservation

Annin Flagmarkers

category: Heritage Preservation

Annin Flagmakers is America’s oldest and largest flag company, remaining heads and shoulders above any other U.S. flag manufacturing company in the United States.

Master Gardener Plant SaleImpression

Master Gardener Plant Sale

category: Impression

Each year Master Gardener volunteers will hold their annual plant sale adjacent to the farmers’ market in the Rotary Pavilion at Coshocton County Fairgrounds. Show up early for to watch demonstrations by the Master Gardener Volunteers. The plant sale, featuring annuals, perennials, herbs, and vegetables, will usually begins at 9:00. Proceeds from the plant sale will go toward public gardens and workshops, educational materials, printing the Keep It Growing newsletter, and more.

Keene Kountry Kids 4-H ClubImpression

Keene Kountry Kids 4-H group

category: Impression

The 4-H group, Keene Kountry Kids helped rake leaves on the courtsquare lawn for Clean-up Day.

The HoggeeHeritage Preservation

The Hoggee

category: Historic Preservation

Wilson Hay Career Center (Coshocton County Career Center)
23640 Airport Road
Coshocton, Ohio 43812
Text of the plaque: Title: The Hoggee Mural
The hoggee (hoagy) was the unsung hero of the canal era who handled the horses or mules as they towed the canal craft along the waterway. In our painting locktenders wait as the captain (holding the tow rope) urges his hoggee to stop dawdling as he brings the team down around the lock. Perhaps our hero is daydreaming about becoming president some day. (James A. Garfield, as a boy, had been a hoggee on our own Ohio-Erie canal.)

This painting of Roscoe’s canal locks was done in 1980 by Stanley Shaw, head of the art department at Shaw Barton, an agency for advertising art. It hung in the vocational school restaurant for many years, and has since been moved to the Board of Education conference room. The painting is in oil and measures 52 x 101 inches.

Industrial ParkHeritage Preservation

Industrial Park Mural

category: Historic Preservation

Exhibit Hall OF Roscoe Village Visitor Center 600 N. Whitewoman Street
Coshocton, Ohio 43812

The mural in the Exhibit Hall of Roscoe Village Visitor Center is titled Industrial Park, and is an artist’s idea of what Roscoe’s industrial park at the north end of the Village looked like in 1870. The barn of the first house has been preserved as the present-day blacksmith’s shop. Walnut trees were planted near such shops to keep down the flies. Several homes are in the mural. The cooperage where wooden buckets, barrels, and the like were made is included. Also pictured are a “salt house”, a woolen mill, an oil well, and Lee’s Empire Mill, which was powered by water from the by-pass chamber of the Triple Locks located nearby. It was a grist mill.

This mural was painted by Claude Ruston (Rusty) Baker in 1993. Mr. Baker grew up in Killbuck, Ohio and has spent over 30 years painting murals and illusions on buildings.

Canal DaysHeritage Preservation

Canal Days Mural

category: Historic Preservation

Roscoe Village Visitor Center
600 N. Whitewoman Street
Coshocton, Ohio 43812

The upstairs mural is a replica of the original located at Chase Bank titled Canal Days.

Goschachgunk MuralHeritage Preservation

Goschachgunk Mural

category: Historic Preservation

Johnson-Humrickhouse Museum
300 North Whitewoman Street
Coshocton, Ohio 43812

Several large paintings are located in the lower level of the Johnson-Humrickhouse Museum. We celebrated three of them on our Bicentennial Mural Trail. They were all three painted by John McCartan (1880-1963). This artist was born in Manchester, Ohio. His family came to Coshocton for his father’s work with the coal company. McCartan worked as a WPA artist. He painted art works for the museum and the public library.

Goschachgunk (This Indian word was anglicized to Coshocton.)

“Native Americans pursue their daily lives in the Delaware nation’s capital now the city of Coshocton.” Routine daily chores are depicted. The great council house was located approximately where the large mill stone serves as a marker at the intersection of Second Street and Main Street.

Industrial ParkHeritage Preservation

The Burning of Goschachgunk Mural

category: Historic Preservation

Johnson-Humrickhouse Museum
300 North Whitewoman Street
Coshocton, Ohio 43812

Several large paintings are located in the lower level of the Johnson-Humrickhouse Museum. We celebrated three of them on our Bicentennial Mural Trail. They were all three painted by John McCartan (1880-1963). This artist was born in Manchester, Ohio. His family came to Coshocton for his father’s work with the coal company. McCartan worked as a WPA artist. He painted art works for the museum and the public library.

“Formerly the capital of the Delaware Nation, Native Americans flee from the destruction of their village.” This painting depicts an event of 1781. Under the leadership of Chief White Eyes of the Turtle Clan, the Delawares supported the Americans in the Revolution by trying to remain neutral. However, when Captain Pipe of the Wolf clan gained control, he supported war against the Americans. In retaliation, Colonel Brodhead marched here, killed the residents, set their cabins on fire, and confiscated plunder which was later sold at a good price. This painting was done in 1935.

Industrial ParkHeritage Preservation

Lichtenau in Winter Mural

category: Historic Preservation

Johnson-Humrickhouse Museum
300 North Whitewoman Street
Coshocton, Ohio 43812

Several large paintings are located in the lower level of the Johnson-Humrickhouse Museum. We celebrated three of them on our Bicentennial Mural Trail. They were all three painted by John McCartan (1880-1963). This artist was born in Manchester, Ohio. His family came to Coshocton for his father’s work with the coal company. McCartan worked as a WPA artist. He painted art works for the museum and the public library.

“Missionaries of the Moravian Church founded the village of Lichtenau (meadow of light) in order to convert the Delaware Indians to Christianity.” For a time in 1778, the Moravian, Rev. Zeisberger and his Indian converts left Gnaddenhutten and Schoenbrunn and settled here at Lichtenau.

When they left, other less friendly Indians lived there. Eventually, Lichtenau was also destroyed. The site of this village is marked on the corner of Clow Lane and Second Street. This painting was also done in 1935.

Industrial ParkHeritage Preservation

Panoramic View of Historic Roscoe Mural

category: Historic Preservation

Edie Ryan’s Restaurant
585 South Whitewoman Street
Coshocton, OH 43812

A large painting located in the dining room of Edie Ryan’s Restaurant is an overview of Historic Roscoe, a panoramic view of this restored canal town. It was painted by George Young, a local artist who was here in Coshocton doing free lance work for the advertising art business. His wife, Helen Young, was a waitress at Spitler’s Restaurant, (now Edie Ryan’s), and Mr. Spitler gave her husband, a struggling young artist, a job painting a mural. They took photos from high on the hill overlooking Roscoe and put them together to make a template for the charcoal sketch Mr. Young made on boards. Oil paint was added. The work took about three years and was finished in 1978. The mural measures 5 x 16 feet.

Mr. Young had a fine arts degree from George Washington University and studied at the Corcoran Art Gallery in Washington, D. C. He specialized in illustration of books, book covers, and calendar art, including several commissioned pieces for Shaw Barton. He also painted portraits, landscapes, still life, and entered shows, won competitions, taught, and held one man exhibitions.

Ministering to the Delaware IndiansHeritage Preservation

Ministering to the Delaware Indians

category: Historic Preservation

The Presbyterian Church of Coshocton
142 North Fourth Street
Coshocton, Ohio 43812

A large painting by Mr. and Mrs. William Lucas is located in the parlor of The Presbyterian Church. It depicts what is thought to be the first Presbyterian sermon preached west of the Allegheny Mountains. On Sept. 21, 1766, two ministers, Charles Beatty and George Duffield, with their Indian interpreter Joseph Peepy, met with a group of Delaware Indians and their chief, Netawatwees (Newcomer) along the Tuscarawas River near where Newcomerstown now stands. Duffield was the first stated clerk of the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church USA. Beatty had been appointed by the synod to visit the frontier and determine whether the Indians would be receptive to missionary work. Christian Indians tended to respond more positively to the Moravians. Peepy, the interpreter, was later killed in the Massacre of Gnaddenhuten.

The painting was unveiled in November of 1960. William and Veida Lucas came here from Pittsburgh, attracted by Shaw Barton. Both were professors of art at the University of Pittsburgh. They became members of the church, Mr. Lucas serving as deacon.

Colonel Bouquets Treaty of 1764Heritage Preservation

Colonel Bouquets Treaty of 1764

category: Historic Preservation

Coshocton County Courthouse
Courthouse Square
Coshocton, Ohio

A painting depicting Colonel Bouquet’s Treaty of 1764 in which white captives were returned without firing a shot still hangs in the Common Pleas Court Room above the judge’s bench. This took place along the Walhonding River. The American Art Works had employed several artists at the turn of the century including Arthur William Woelfle who worked there from 1904 to 1914. Woelfle had intended to be here for three months, but ended up staying for ten years. He was commissioned to paint the mural in the chambers of his future father-in-law. He married Georgiana Voorhees, the judge’s daughter. The painting is a 35 foot long, 5 foot high canvas which is glued to the wall. You will see the released captives, Col. Bouquet, and the Indian delegation in the painting.

Mr. Woelfle, 1873-1936, was born in Trenton, New Jersey. He won a scholarship to Brooklyn Institute, and also studied at the National Academy of Design in New York.

He became a nationally famed artist with great success in the metropolitan art circles of New York City. He painted portraits of many celebrities, painted murals, taught painting classes, lectured, and maintained his own studio in New York.

Chase Canal DaysHeritage Preservation

Chase Canal Days Mural

category: Historic Preservation

Chase Bank
120 S. 4th Street
Coshocton, Ohio 43812

The Coshocton National Bank decided to commission a mural of scenic Coshocton County. Dean Cornwell, of the Art Institute of Chicago had won prizes for illustrations and murals since 1919 and was the chosen artist. The artist toured the county looking for an appropriate subject. Seward Schooler, bank president, suggested several ideas, but the artist was only dimly interested. One day Cornwell toured shabby Whitewoman Street.

It appealed to him because he himself had been reared on the canal at Chillicothe. He collected photographs, rummaged through newspaper archives, and took pictures of rundown Roscoe. The final painting shows buildings of the old town in vivid hues, a re- created bridge, a canal boat, and people in period costume. It was a picture of what Roscoe could become again, and it inspired Francis and Edward Montgomery to restore the tired, old town beginning in 1968.

The painting was on specially woven fabric, 24 feet long and 8 feet high, using only the finest permanent pigments. The painting arrived in Coshocton in 1960. It would be Cornwell’s last major work. Today the Coshocton National Bank has become The Chase Bank.

Col Bouquets Meeting with the IndiansHeritage Preservation

Col Bouquets Meeting with the Indians

category: Historic Preservation

Central School
724 Walnut Street
Coshocton, Ohio 43812

Another mural commemorating Colonel Bouquet’s historic meeting with the Delaware and Shawnee Indians to obtain the release of white captives hangs in the lobby of Central School. The Coshocton High School Class of 1964 commissioned this painting as their gift to the school. (Central was then the high school.) The class selected Coshocton native, Benton Clark, a student of Arthur Woelfle’s, to do this work. Clark had become a well-known artist historian and magazine illustrator. After much research, he submitted a small version of his idea. Before he could commence work on the project, he died. The committee then selected Mr. Benjamin F. Blackson to paint the mural using Mr. Clark’s depiction as a guide. It was titled Colonel Bouquet’s Receiving Prisoners from the Indians at Coshocton, Ohio, October 1764. The painting was unveiled October 25, 1964.

State and local historical societies of Ohio took part in the ceremony. The painting measures 7 x 28 feet and weighs 600 pounds. Ben Blackson was the brother of this community’s beloved citizen, Lewis “Pooch” Blackson.

We hope that this historic mural can be carefully removed and placed in the new school building on Cambridge Road.

Three Eras of Fire FightingHeritage Preservation

Three Eras of Fire Fighting

category: Historic Preservation

Coshocton Fire Station
325 South 7th Street
Coshocton, Ohio 43812

The story is told that after Benton Clark retired, he returned to his hometown, Coshocton, and that on some days he would hang around the fire station talking with the men.

One day he noticed a large empty space on the wall and suggested there should be a painting there. Someone asked him to paint something showing what fighting fires used to be like. He agreed. His mural shows three eras of firefighting. The first, dated 1803, shows the men using a hand tub pumper and hose cart. The second scene shows a fire wagon pulled by three huge snorting horses from circa 1905. The third scene was contemporary of the day showing Main Street Fire Station with a “modern” fire truck and dated 1962, the date the painting was finished.

The painting is on plywood and originally hung in the kitchen of the Main Street Fire Station. It was later loaned out to the Jackson Township house. In 1989 a new fire station was built. They found a huge empty space on the wall hiding the air ducts. It was an ideal site for their “Benton Clark” to return “home.” It now hangs in the lounge of the current fire station. It is 13 feet 8 inches long and about 19 inches high.

Clark had been nurtured in his love of art by Arthur Woelfle. He went on to develop art as a vocation. His illustrations appeared in Colliers, Saturday Evening Post, Good Housekeeping, and others. Some of his paintings became magazine covers. Four of his paintings hang in the Pony Express Museum in St. Joseph, Missouri. He was known for painting action and drama.

Main StreetHeritage Preservation

Main Street

category: Floral Displays

Main Street flower beds.