These brick houses were built by John and Richard Compton—two brothers from Culpepper, Virginia who made Coshocton, Ohio their home in the early 1800’s. They purchased the land from John Calder, the founder of Caldersburgh – which is present-day Roscoe Village. The Compton family used the land for farming and raised a small orchard on the property. The Clary name became associated with this property through the efforts of Elizabeth Brandel Clary. Mrs. Clary wanted to create a botanical garden to honor her late husband, Lawrence Clary, whose family owned and operated a florist business in Coshocton for over a hundred years. In 2001, Mrs. Clary established the Clary Garden Foundation and purchased this tract of land for its natural beauty, fertile soil, and abundance of springs.